Spring is in full bloom! The beginning of a new season can be a great time to revisit your financial habits and goals. If you're ready for a fresh start, here are a few ways you can save better this spring:
Refresh your budget
Does your monthly budget need a little spring cleaning? Take a close look at your budget to see if you need to make any changes based on your income and expenses. You can use a personal budget worksheet, spreadsheet or online budgeting tool like Money Management, a free service of Wright-Patt Credit Union (WPCU), available in Mobile and Online Banking.
Grow your savings
- Saving money is like any habit: the more you do it, the easier it gets! Try these simple money habits to help grow your savings this spring:
- Give up one small expense for a week, like food delivery or takeout. Put the money you save in a separate account or envelope and watch it add up!
- Round-up your purchases and save your “spare change." It's easy with WPCU's EasySaver® debit card round-up program! With this program, your debit card purchases are rounded up to the nearest dollar amount, and then the difference is deposited into a separate account.
- Take a look at your account history. Are you paying for monthly subscriptions or services you don't use? Consider canceling them to save money each month.
- Use the 48-hour rule to save money and avoid buyer's remorse. Before making a big purchase, wait at least two full days. You might find that after 48 hours, you no longer want the item after all!
Plant the seeds for your financial future
Consider taking some time this spring to review your financial goals and how you'll make them happen. What “seeds" can you plant today to achieve greater financial flexibility and freedom in the future? For example, if one of your goals is to buy a house, try putting a set amount in your savings account each week as a way to save for a down payment. If you want to organize your finances, scheduling automatic payments for your ongoing expenses is a great place to start!
For all your financial goals, big and small, Wright-Patt Credit Union is here to help! Let us help you manage your hard-earned money so you can live the life you want to live.
Find more budgeting tips and tools, including helpful worksheets and interactive learning modules, by visiting our online Education Center.